SUPERFOOD ENERGY BARS RECIPE
SUPERFOOD ENERGY BARS
Need some energy to keep you going? Try this recipe and enjoy a super healthy, energetic and yummy bar!
- 2 cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Flax Seeds
- 2 cups Puffed Quinoa (You can also use puffed rice cereal)
- 1/2 cup Whole Almonds
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Dried Apricots (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Goji Berries
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 5 tbsp Light Brown Sugar (I have used Demerara sugar for this recipe)
- 1 cup Honey
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 75 grams Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180C and spread the oats, pumpkin seeds and flaxseed onto a tray to toast for 10-12 minutes or until fragrant and golden.
- Once toasted, allow the oats and seeds to cool, then pour them into a large bowl along with the puffed quinoa (or cereal), almonds, chia seeds, dried cranberries, goji berries, chopped apricots and mix everything together until well incorporated.
- In a small sized pan, pour the coconut oil, honey and sugar, and heat until mixture becomes all bubbly, then add the cinnamon and salt and stir for another minute.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture over the bowl of oat mixture and stir together until everything is well combined and sticky.
- Allow to cool for 7-10 minutes then add in the chopped dark chocolate and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a square sized tin covered with parchment paper and spread into an even layer. Pass the knife through the tin, cutting into bars. (If you cut the bars after they have cooled, it will be harder to have them in even shaped bars.
- Place the tin in the fridge to chill for at least an hour, until cold.
- Once done, use the parchment paper to lift the bars from the tin, and pass the knives through the cut bars once again to make them easier to separate. Here I have cut them into bars after having refrigerated which made the cuts uneven.
This recipe is a combination of superfoods to make one fulfilling energy bar that will provide you with a load of healthy and nutritious benefits and a whole lot of energy!