SUN-DRIED TOMATO & BASIL PESTO PINWHEELS
A healthy snack bursting with flavor, these yummy pinwheels will definitely be quick to disappear off your table!
FOR THE DOUGH
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Sugar (I use brown sugar)
- 1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 cup Warm Water
FOR THE SUN-DRIED TOMATO & BASIL PESTO
- 1/2 cup Raw Almonds (with skin)
- 1 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes drained from oil (Reserve the oil for later)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 10-12 basil leaves
- 2-3 tbsp Reserved oil from Sun-dried tomatoes
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Himalayan Sea Salt (to taste)
To make the DOUGH
- Place the instant yeast, sugar and ½ cup of warm water in a bowl and stir altogether allowing the mixture to bubble and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, add the flour and salt, olive oil and start mixing the ingredients. Add the yeast mixture (after having waited for 15 minutes) and mix. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup of lukewarm water and continue mixing. Add more water if the dough is still dry.
- Cover the dough with olive oil and place in a warm place for 2 hours until it doubles in size.
To make the SUN-DRIED TOMATO AND BASIL PESTO
- In a dry pan over medium heat, add the raw almonds and allow them to toast, tossing occasionally until they begin to brown and become fragrant.
- Pulse all ingredients until you get a thick paste, scrap down the sides, add the reserved sun-dried oil and pulse again.
- Set the pesto aside, until your dough is ready.
To make the PINWHEELS
- Once your dough is ready, sprinkle your surface with some flour and roll out the dough into a rectangular like shape.
- Spread the Sun-dried tomato and basil pesto, and start rolling the dough into a sandwich like shape.
- Roll the sandwiched dough with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes; this makes it easier to cut the dough into pinwheels without it sticking to your knife.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, roll out the cling film and cut the rolls evenly.
- Slightly grease your baking pan and place the rolls side by side (brush the top of the rolls with some additional sun-dried tomato oil) and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 30 minutes.
The fragrance that will fill your kitchen will be absolutely amazing! Enjoy this amazingly yummy snack over brunch or an evening get together with friends ! I guarantee, you cannot stop at just 1 !