This is a cherished family recipe which my mom used to make when we were kids, it was a delicious way to make us eat our greens!
For the Dough
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup Lukewarm water
For the Spinach Filling
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 750 grams Frozen Spinach (about 1 & 1/2 bags)
- 250 grams Cremini Mushrooms (Thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy milk of choice (or your option of full fat milk, cooking cream or Ricotta cheese)
- 300 grams Swiss Cheese (Grated)
- Himalayan Sea Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp Butter (optional)
Making the Dough
- In a large bowl, add the whole wheat flour, salt, sugar, yeast and mix altogether.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Olive oil, and start mixing with the dry ingredients.
- Gradually start adding the lukewarm water, bit by bit, to the rest of the ingredients and mix until you start forming a dough. Be careful not to over add water as the dough will become sticky.
- Add a little bit of olive oil to your hands and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Once you have formed the dough cover with a cloth and allow to rest for 25 minutes.
- Grease your baking pan with a bit of olive oil and begin flattening the dough with your hands, starting in the center and working outwards.
- Brush the top of your dough with a little olive oil, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer your pans to a preheated oven and allow to cook for 5 minutes before adding the sauce and building your pizza.
Making the Spinach Filling
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to your wok and add the minced garlic allowing to cook for a couple minutes until fragrant.
- Add your mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened, then add the frozen spinach and let it thaw for 5 to 10 minutes. Once the water and juices begin to release mix all ingredients in the wok and add either your milk of choice, cream or ricotta cheese
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and if you wish you can also add 1 tsp of butter (optional) for added taste.
- After you have cooked the dough for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle all the grated Swiss cheese and return to oven for another 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
- Remove your pan once more and add the cooked spinach filling over the cheese and return to oven for another 8 – 10 minutes.
Loaded with nutrients and antioxidants, and an extremely healthy green, SPINACH in a pie is simply succulent ! Make sure to try this recipe and add this health-boosting leafy green to your diet