HEALTHY BANANA BREAD
A super healthy version of the classic banana bread (and vegan if you omit or replace the chocolate chip) for you to enjoy with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. This recipe comes together easily and takes no more than 15 minutes to make!
- 3 Ripened Bananas (mashed)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (or any plant-based milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 Flax egg (see note below on how to make a flax egg)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 ½ cup Oat Flour
- 1/3 cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Dark Chocolate Chip (or replace with raisins for a vegan option)
- Begin by preparing your flax egg and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set up & thicken
- While the flax egg thickens, in a medium -bowl begin by mashing your ripened bananas, add the coconut milk and mix until both ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp pf vanilla extract,1 tsp cinnamon and mix again until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the peanut butter and mix, followed by the coconut sugar and continue mixing.
- Once your flax egg is ready, add it in.
- Using a sifter, add in the oat flour gradually and mix, followed by 2 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Finally, add in the chopped walnuts & chocolate chip or raisins and mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 180C, and transfer the batter to a baking loaf pan. You can top the banana bread with some additional chocolate chip if desired.
*Note* To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together and refrigerate for 15 minutes to set up and thicken.