Double Chocolate Vegan Cake with Raspberry Filling
FOR THE CAKE (For each Layer)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 3/4 cup Demerera sugar (or any sugar of choice)
- 3/4 to 1 cup Water
- 45 ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
FOR THE FILLING
- 200 grams Raspberry Jam (you can also use strawberry or apricot jam, but the taste of raspberry jam is amazing in this cake)
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 350 grams 70% Dark Chocolate (I use Lindt dark chocolate for cooking)
- 400 ml Coconut Cream (Not coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
FOR THE CAKE
- Prepare 2 greased and lined cake tins of the same size (about 25cm), preferably with removable bases and cover with wax paper, to easily remove the cake layer after baking. If you do not have 2 cake tins of the same size, you can always do it at 2 intervals.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt, mix altogether until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the sugar in hot boiling water, and add the oil and apple cider vinegar
- Combine the wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and whisk altogether into a smooth batter. N.B – I combine the ingredients of each layer separately in order to have 2 even cake layers
- Pour the batter of each layer in a cake tin, and bake for about 15 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Take the cakes out of the tins, and let them cool for about an hour. Once completely cooled, gently remove the wax paper from the bottom of each layer.
FILLING WITH RASPBERRY JAM
- On the first cake layer, i.e. the bottom layer, begin by spreading a good layer of jam while also concealing any minor cracks and holes in the cake.
- Place the second layer of cake on top and use the rest of the jam to cover the whole top and side of the cake as well.
- Let the jam set, for about 15 minutes.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- While waiting for the jam to set, break down your chocolate into pieces and add to a large dry mixing bowl.
- Heat the coconut cream until it is hot, do not let it simmer. Pour the cream over the chocolate pieces and let it sit for a minute then add the cocoa and vanilla and start whisking gently until smooth.
- Refrigerate the ganache for an hour, whisking after 30 minutes and wait for it to have a good and thick consistency.
- Once jam is set on the cake, frost it with the ganache and return to fridge for another hour for it to set. You can top the cake with shredded almonds
An absolutely amazing taste and most satisfying cake!