BUTTERNUT SQUASH SPICED CAKE
Made with a versatile, sweet and nutty flavored ingredient, The Butternut Squash! It’s not only tasty, but this yummy cake is also packed with nutrilicious vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants
- 1 cup Butternut Squash puree
- 1 Egg (You can replace with a flax egg for a vegan option, see recipe notes below)
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Brown Sugar (For this recipe I have used demerara sugar but any brown sugar would do)
- 1 1/2 cup flour (For this recipe I have used organic gluten free flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Gound Ginger
- 1/2 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts (or any nuts of choice)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, butternut squash puree, egg, olive oil, vanilla essence along with the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients, Flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, all spice, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and thoroughly mix together until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Finally, add in your chopped walnuts or nuts of choice.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, grease a small to medium sized cake pan and pour the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
To make a flax egg, use a fork to whisk together 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 2 tablespoons warm water. Let sit for five minutes, until thickened. Continue with recipe as written. Enjoy this yummy cake with your morning coffee, or afternoon tea! It’s simply cake o’clock anytime of the day!