Who said rice has to be boring?! Here's one interesting way of making it by incorporating healthy greens and giving it a vibrant taste and color!
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 head Broccoli
- 1 Carrot (cut into small cubes)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the toppings
- 1 whole head garlic (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 large red onion (finely chopped)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews (toasted)
- Begin by washing your brown rice, then add it to a large pot with the vegetable stock and turmeric and bring to a boil. Cover and allow to cook until water dries out (Brown rice usually takes slightly longer than white rice to cook)
- Once the rice is done, uncover the pot and allow cooling completely. Set aside.
- In another small pot, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and add the onions with a pinch of salt and sauté for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same small pot, add another tbsp. of olive oil and add the sliced garlic sautéing until crisp and brown about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Take another large pot, and add the remaining olive oil. Once heated, add the cumin seeds and let them brown and become fragrant. Then add the minced broccoli, carrots, bell peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes, adding salt to taste.
- Once your vegetables are well cooked, add the cooled rice and mix with the vegetables, adding freshly ground pepper and coating everything together and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- In another pan, toast the raw cashews until browned, and then toss into the broccoli rice, and your dish is ready!
Enjoy this succulent rice full of nutrilicious green goodness!